Tuesday, June 10, 2014

sewing machines and sewing stretchy fabric

I have been afraid of sewing with knits/stretchy fabric for so many years. But since I recently updated from having used this sweet old lady for the past 9 years, I decided it was time to get over myself and just learn something new.

I know this is stupid but I want to cry a little when I look at this picture. She was such a faithful little machine and helped me sew so many special things, my wedding quilt, baby clothes, skirts, pillows, curtains...oh dear. But it was time to move on.
I now have this:
 

 So far, I like it very much. Sometimes it sounds like it's struggling a little as I sew but maybe I'm just not used to it's "normal" noises?
Anyhow, I was supposed to be talking about sewing stretchy fabric wasn't I? After experimenting with different stitches and lengths, I figured it out and had a new outfit done in one morning. In case anyone reading this happens to have the same machine as me, I found that stitch number 02 works great for tee shirt like material.


 Now we all know why I always wear sunglasses, I'm squinting like a grandpa and it's a cloudy day.



Before I hemmed. I also might need to do sit ups more regularly?

 Real life.
Oh, and see the little girl matching me? She was so so happy when I gave her her own dress. She hugged me a lot.
 See? Lot's of hugs.


Don't tell her that it isn't hemmed and only took a few minutes to make. Well, I guess you can, she would probably just laugh at you and say "nooo".

Oh, and did I mention that I only spent $5 in all for this fabric? At Walmart. :D

1 comment:

  1. You had it for that long (the sewing machine)?? Wow!

    ReplyDelete