Thursday, July 25, 2013

The sewing desk

This will be the first of several posts on putting my guest/craft room together. For the past two years it's been a sort of junk room where I throw everything that I don't want to be seen and then rush to put together when we have overnight guests. My current goal is to make it at the very least usable, but hopefully beautiful and "me" at the same time.  I'm learning about myself a little as I go along. My husband said I could do whatever I wanted in that particular room but then I did nothing all this time! I still ask his opinion here and there because he has such good taste though.

I've been wanting a little sewing desk for a while, so I decided to make one. I spent $27 and got a set of bar stools from craigslist and some wood from Lowes. The barstools still had $30.00 stickers on each! Here's the idea:
That's as close to a before picture as you are getting of the room by the way.

In progress, plus a mirror I was painting for the room. I'll show you that one next time. :)
And here she is! 

 Yes, I do sew on an ancient singer sewing machine. Yes it works, and no it never gives me any trouble at all!
 
 There we go, my cute little desk! I still need to do a little waxing and sanding, but I had to put it together to see how it would look! And the three little munchkins needed me...

Now I need your help. I have this chair. It needs some some tlc.

Do I cover the seat with this and refinish the wood?


Or do I cover it with a navy linen fabric and paint the chair white? I can't decide! Comment and let me know what you think. 

I'm not sure why the pictures are so cloudy, but I don't have time for perfection today so just pretend it was a foggy day or something like that!

linking up with http://www.lilyfieldlife.com/

1 comment:

  1. hi Hayley - what a great idea for your table - I need a sewing room! (or a paint studio!)
    in regards to your chair it totally depends what look you are aiming for the room. both sound great!
    thanks for linking up to my Paint Parade
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete